Thursday, January 04, 2007

Schussing into the New Year!

Well - December is over and January has begun...and part of exploring play for this new year definitely has been enjoying our mild Manitoba winter complete with ample snow - until it all melts away!
The West Hawk trails after twelve inches of fresh stuff!
Okay, the full-tuck was unnecessary (perhaps a little embarrassing) but it is hard to instruct your sister to take a picture of yours truly that looks like I'm somewhat in motion...at least I look like I'm attempting to "schuss" my way down the bank of the lake (I did start about 100 feet away by the cottage).
My students all know my pet peeves when it comes to spelling mistakes - who knew I'd run into it on the ski trails. Must be karma from marking too many exams at Christmas or something?
Chelsea & I went for a short little hike.

Post-Christmas was spent at the Star Lake escape residence known as "the cottage" or for those less-refined "the cabin." Skiing the West Hawk loop or my Dad's groomed trail on Star Lake was absolutely fabulous.
Self-portrait taken on a good 12km ski-trail...

Off-piste'
I also spent some time shoveling the 12" dump of snow from our formerly cleared skating rink ala lake. Ironic, seeing as my skates are still in need of repair and sitting in my garage in some cardboard box. I did a little snowmobiling with the girls as well but I've come to prefer more "natural" sports.
Dad exploring play on his Arctic Cat.

I think I must have put on a good 20kms skiing over the course of our escape and now that I'm back home in Steinbach I've put on a few kms on the local golf course after a moonlit ski last night and a 8.5km loop in the Sandilands as well today. This skiing thing is becoming almost as habitual as mtn biking - great for the body, mind, & soul! Exercise for me has always brought balance to the rest of my life!
A little bit odd of an exposure but it captures a moment.
All ready to ski at sunset.
Chelsea enjoying her second year of being a skier!

By the way the word "schussing" actually refers to hurtling down an alpine slope which generally doesn't happen much on cross-country skis but it is a cool sounding word for in a title and in some ways the end of the year involved some speeding down hills.

I also had the opportunity to do some skiing with Jay - a friend from my Prov days, fellow musician, and someone I don't get to see often as he lives out East. Anywhoos - here's an entertaining video that captures a few moments of skiing!

No comments: