Saturday, January 27, 2007

Music iLike

Sorry I couldn't resist a poke at bruising Apple's ego and admittedly I have an iPod but it's only a cheap shuffle . And yes I do enjoy it - particularly when going for a ski or working out on the home gym.
So yeah - new music I'm enjoying - right now I'm listening to the reggae hasidic stylings of Matisyahu and his version of "Message in a Bottle" from his latest 7 song LP No Place To Be complete with a few remixes. I'm also ironically drinking some Mango juice nectar so I must be in an island mood...must be this -25 degree weather? I wouldn't say the album is a must have as it is a "remix" album and simply gives a taste to listeners but a number of the tracks are really good. Included with the cd is a live dvd which is definitely the reason why I purchased it - filmed in Israel and the sound & visuals are simply amazing!
I picked up The Shins' Wincing The Night Away after listening to it online repeatedly...I have their first two albums so I'm not sure why I wasn't lined up at the store to get this when it came out. I just love it - there is some strange intimacy that lurks in their understatements about life, love, & leisure. It is somewhat live sounding and I really love the instrumentation and vocal arrangements...check it out.I wasn't sure what I thought about The Decemberists' The Crane Wife at first - kind of folky, a touch of Dylan, some great bass grooves, and weirdly they remind me of The Proclaimers or Spirit of the West (Remember the track Political?) in some way - I don't think they are Scottish or even Canadian? Simple but profound musically & lyrically - a juxtaposition of joy & grief...I don't know it still is growing on me - some of the album I love and some just doesn't do it for me yet. My two favorite tracks are "The Crane Wife 3" & "O Valencia."
Another "folk-rock americana-type" artist I've been sampling is Josh Ritter and his album The Animal Years. I'm still digesting it but I'm digging the lyrics and feel - reminds a little of Bill Mallonee of Vigilantes of Love fame. Favorite tracks - Wolves, Girl in the War, and yeah - we'll see - I'm still trying it out.

I'm still loving MuteMath - I'm not sure if it is the emo-musicianship or the Sting-like vocals & melodies that get me. Just great music to have playing in the background or while going on a long drive through the wind-ripped prairies. It moves, it grooves, it emotes, it just satisfies me where I'm at musically.
By the way - rumor has it that The Police are rehearsing in Vancouver - could it be a comeback of the white reggae post-punk trio? I've seen Sting once live and admittedly The Police covers were my favs! I still love Stings' Fragile & Fields of Gold...
Favorite all-time Police Songs - "Synchronicity," "Can't Stand Losing You," "Message in the Bottle," "Tea in the Sahara," and yeah I know the obvious and overplayed in the 80's "Every Breath You Take." And oh yeah the choruses from "So Lonely" & "Roxanne" may be repetitive but they get stuck in your brain!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've become a fan of a band called Silversun Pickups, a little smashing pumpkin-esk, I think anyways check out their song Lazy Eye

Garth said...

Yeah - my friend Jer mentioned them to me - so they are indeed on my playlist - my iPod seems to hit Lazy Eye often! How'd you know i was a Pumpkinhead? The band I was in after college sounded kind of Smashing Pumpkins-like...

Jeremy said...

Funny, just this morning I saw that announcement about The Police reuniting for a tour and rehearsing in Vancouver...which led me into the Youtube vortex to find some live Police stuff, most of which was very cool. They did a show in 2003 when they were inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame -- Sting and the drummer were still amazing on the old tunes, but the guitarist was terrible and his sound was awful.

Garth said...

They did a cool version of Roxanne at the Grammy's tonight...should be on youtube by the end of this week if you missed it...

Youtube has been amazing to discover old vids eh? I came across some vids I never knew even existed!

Dave said...

They've been talking about the Police tour on the radio for a couple of days already. The main reason for what some call the guitar problems is that since leaving the band, he's been doing nothing but jazz (his true passion). The performance at the Grammy's was testimony of the jazz influence in his playing style. Still doesn't matter, he's a great guitarist.

Garth said...

Yeah - i enjoyed the version at the Grammys but I also miss the white reggae punk edge and am hoping they are able to bring a bit of that back on the road...not that i'll get a chance to actually see them...I don't think they will make it to the Peg or even Minneapolis for that matter!

Keira said...

I was just listening to Sting today for the first time in many years (besides Songs from the Labyrinth, that is) and I must admit, those old tunes still rock. Fields of Gold took me right back to your wedding . . . and I also enjoyed Englishman in New York and the very gutsy song about Russians.