Sunday, January 07, 2007

More Pictures from December & early January

This will be a bit of a random collection of pictures - mostly of winter-themes, some texture stuff, close-ups of ice, frost, & snow. I played a little with exposures as well and a little "photo-shop" but pretty minimal - I prefer getting the right shot before having to upload it to the computer. Too much tweaking and photos start to look unnatural but they still capture a moment in time!
A shot of my girls & wife at Christmas reading some stories...

Some early morning frost made for some interesting shots of our walkway to our front door.
This is the top of one of our maple trees that with frost.
I've taken shots of our kids' swing chains before with frost - I played with color a little here.
I really love this shot - the frost being back lit just gives it more of an ethereal feel.

This shot of a neighbour's fence has been my background for my computer for the last week...not that I'm feeling cagey or anything - I just like how it accentuates the frost.
Another back lit shot of a frosted branch - some neat colors come out in the sun...
Got to love icicles - admittedly I've eaten a few in my life!
This is a shot of a light at the entrance of our boathouse, neat how the icicles are lit up.
This shot was not taken in the best light conditions but I loved the colors of the tea leaves against the snow...

Again - some nice colors shine through the frosted branches.
One of the local deer that frequent our winter abode...I've been trying to focus on eyes as I've read that is one the best ways of capturing both people & animals.
I posted a color version of this on musings but I like the sepia-toned one as well.
I took this motion-blurred shot on one of my ski tours on the Star Lake/West Hawk trail.
Sunset on Star LakeYet another icicle shot - lit up somewhat from a sunset.
Some fireworks on New Years - tripod necessary and the bulb feature to open up the shutter.
Another explosion in the sky!
This shot included the full moon along with the fireworks...
The front doorstep taken at night ala tripod
The other side of the cottage - good view of the accumulation of snow and steps that lead down to the lake.
A pine grouse that rested on the roof of our car for a few moments...this was taken seconds before it flew off. I wish I could have captured that but I wasn't quite ready...
More sunsets - the purples and oranges remind me of the beach for some reason.
Interesting patterns of snowmobile & ski tracks lit up by the setting sun...again amazing colors of gold, purple, oranges!
I like this shot too - I should mention that we had some rain before the big snow and so a lot of my shots have an extra glaze to them that literally flashed in the sunlight making for some interesting effects.

6 comments:

Jason said...

All of these are gorgeous! I'd comment on each one individually, but that'd take forever. I have a couple of fav's, the one that sticks out is that deer. I can't believe you can get close enough (even with zoom) to get that shot. Great job Garth!

Garth said...

Interestingly that was one of the easiest pics to take - our deer are a little too tame - I was literally 5 feet away from it. I didn't even make use of the zoom other than focusing in on the eyes. Thanks for the compliments - sometimes the lighting all works out and the Manitoba sunsets allow for some of the golds & reds to really shine.

Jason said...

Yeah, I remember that (golds and reds). Sadly, the clouds move into the Okanagan valley and don't leave until Feb or March. I'd love some golds and reds right about now.

Keira said...

I think the deer's eyes look slightly psychopathic.

At first I thought some of your fireworks shots were of an oddly frosted branch! Very cool!

Garth said...

Well - most deer are somewhat suicidal when it comes to traffic so those pychopathic eyes may be a good observation. The deer was a little freaked by me I think as I kept getting closer and I'm sure he was a little puzzled by all that clicking & whirring of my SLR.

Re: the fireworks - I too can picture them to be somewhat branch-like but yep holding the shutter opens captures all the movement of the fireballs as they travel through the sky!

Jeremy said...

Great set -- so many good ones in here.