Monday, December 19, 2005

Recent Music Appetizers...

Hmmm - Sigur Ros' Takk has become the soundtrack to a few of my lectures as of late - love that Scandaniavian Emo Atmospheric approach! I recently took a liking to Ben Lee's - Awake Is The New Sleep after hearing a track on Grey's Anatomy or something. Also liking the Canadian band Stars album - Set Yourself on Fire! And admittedly I've been listening to a few Xmas albums: Bruce Cockburn's Christmas, Sufjan Stevens Xmas - available for free d/l, A Very Special Christmas Vol.3-5, City On A Hill - It's Christmas Time; all good as mood music with friends!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Love, Love, LOVE Ben Lee!! Great choice. I still have to pick up his latest offering (although it is almost 1 year old now), but I am definitely a super fan of his. I instantly fell in love with his CD Something to Remember Me By. Breathing Tornadoes took some getting use to, but I fell in love with it just the same. I am going to put my HMV gift certificate I just got to good use now! :)

Garth said...

Yeah Ben Lee - although odd looking for a musician is very good. I just saw a video of him Live at the Chapel and he's quite the performer as well. A friend of mine who lives in Australia mentioned that he used to be an actor or something and its really this latest album that has made him successful outside of Oz.

I'm listening to a Celtic Xmas album right now that features Sarah MacLachlin, Sinead O'Conner and others - pretty good.

Jaime said...

Actually, Ben has a new movie coming out in the new year I believe. I think its an independent. I actually had the pleasure of seeing him live on this really small stage at Woodstock '99! He performed on stage 3 which was basically a little tiny thing with barely anyone there. I got close enough to see him face to face and even caught a cd he threw out into the crowd!! He is definitely a very interesting and outgoing performer to say the least!

My friend in Australia just gave me a music recommendation from there. Missy Higgins - apparently she won a bunch of Australian Music Awards this year. I downloaded some of her stuff and it is very good. I think I will try to find her cd here. Her style is definitely a neat piano/acoustic guitar mix. Quite talented.