Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas Trees

Ever felt guilty buying a real tree or artificial one for that matter? Here's an article that suggests renting live trees and replanting them in the spring! Not sure if it would work here in Canada but it's an idea nonetheless.
Environmentalists say growing real trees to chop down for a few weeks of pleasure is a waste of valuable resources, and discarding them often clogs local landfills. Artificial trees often contain lead and other harmful chemicals that eventually end up in landfills, too.
Admittedly, I really enjoy the scent and visual effect of a Christmas tree but it always seemed like a waste to have a tree for three weeks and then throw it out. My idea for next year is to plant an evergreen of some type in our backyard and as a family we'll decorate it with food for birds or something. Any further thoughts on making Christmas more environmentally friendly?

3 comments:

Tannis said...

I heartily agree with planting a tree and decorating it outside. That means everyone else can enjoy it too. This is our first year with a tree and it's experimental. We decided on a real one so we don't have to store the artificial version. Hopefully we get in on the tree pickup in January where they chip it and use it for mulch or something.

Also on the environmental topic, we're weaning ourselves off of paper wrap, bit by bit. It depends on how many fabric bags I feel like sewing in a year and how many come back after I've given gifts. Admittedly the kids don't find it as exciting but the adults mostly seem to like the idea.

Jaime said...

I actually read this article a few days back and found it interesting. I have never had a real tree. Growing up my family always had their trusty artificial and when I moved out I inherited it. I always was curious about having a real tree one year, but when I ask those who have them, they always say its a lot more work. I think my environmental trick is just having the artificial tree with those LED lights. Your idea about planting a tree and decorating it with bird food and such is fabulous. I encourage people who do cut down trees each year, to go out and plant at least two more back. That is my environmental advice :)

Garth said...

I personally love the smell of real trees and there is something about the whole idea of going out as a family and cutting down a Christmas tree that seems like a great tradition. I'm not sure if the potted tree that later gets planted works that well but I'd like to explore that idea. Jaime - your idea of if you are going to cut down a tree - plant two is a great idea! Trees can be used as mulch for trails which obviously encourages people venturing outdoors as well.

Tannis - we've been going with the paper gift bags but I'd never even thought of going cloth - much more durable in the long run I guess.

LED lights definitely are more energy-friendly way to go. We have opted to not have xmas lights as most we've seen still looks tacky - I especially despise those icicle lights but maybe it's all about personal preference.