Saturday, December 10, 2005

Exploring Winter

I do not recall experiencing a Christmas without any snow around but there may be a vacation from my childhood where we were wisked away somewhere warm. Although I may not enjoy extreme cold, I actually don't mind snow on the ground as it allows me to explore a whole new environment for play.

Every child loves to see those first flakes of the year hit the ground because it means snowmen, snow forts, and of course snow balls! There is a moment of wonder when you see that light fluffy stuff float like little parachutes from the skies above. I love to ski - I just find it hard to get motivated to drive the 20 minutes to the nearest cross-country ski area. I grew up skiing along the river, along with snowmobiling and occasionally mixing the two together. We brought the downhill skiis & helmets for that - skiing behind a snowmobile and launching over little jumps or the banks of the river!

I've done a few winter backcountry trips as well - sleeping in snow caves or quinzhees, climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier in Quebec, ice-climbing in the Adirondacks, the list continues. I don't get to do winter activities often but when I do it truly is enjoyable. I miss downhill skiing in the mountains - I remember a number of trips to Big Sky or Big Mountain Montana! They blew away our local ski hills like Holiday Mtn or Frostfire! Nothing beats swooshing and zig-zagging through powder!

Back-country Telemark Skiing in Quebec

There is something about playing in such an extreme environment that is thrilling. It isn't normal to climb a frozen waterfall with crampons & ice tools is it? Especially if you are somewhat afraid of heights like myself. But I love it - there is nothing quite like the thunk of the ice axe as you heave it into ice!


Wen & I racing up to the top!

Ice-climbing in NY's Dacks

4 comments:

Jason said...

You know what, Garth? If you're not careful with your posts you may just inspire some of us to actually get off our butts and go and do something.

This post makes me want to go find the nearest frozen waterfall :)

Garth said...

I'll upload a pic of me climbing to help you out with further inspiration!

Jeremy said...

Agreed. Great photos, fully inspirational.

I've always had total respect for people who master telemark skiing -- such a cool sport with an amazing combination of utility, flow and adrenaline.

Garth said...

Thanks Jer - Telemark skiing truly is an art and quite honestly is probably one of the more technical sports I've learned over the years. It probably would take a good afternoon to get back to any resemblance of skill again. Backcountry skiing in many ways gives you a whole new respect for the effort it takes to go up a mountain and the joy of skiing down. Every turn you make in powder is your own and it could be you are the only person to have ever skiied there!