Friday, June 10, 2005

New Music

Three purchases of musical delight! X & Y by Coldplay, Rebel Sweetheart by The Wallflowers, & Daniel Lanois' instrumental masterpiece Belladonna. All three are well worth the purchase!

X & Y for whatever reason is perhaps less intense than the last album but in many ways more emotive and personal? Martin's voice reminds of Sting on a few tracks - I haven't pinpointed why or what exactly reminds of him but it suddenly struck me. The album seems to shed light on his relationship with his wife and child. Musically, Coldplay can hold there own - they still aren't the biggest band in the world but they are well in their way to meet up with U2.

Rebel Sweetheart reminds me lyrically of Cockburn without the politics and Jakob Dylan knows how to croon & swoon. Great backbeat as always - along with some kicking singalong choruses. I think they are one of the more under-rated bands - perhaps because they have always been in the Counting Crows shadow and how Jakob purposely not emphasized his birthright of being Bob's son. He isn't Bob but the musical genius blood is definitely there! I personally love all of the Wallflowers albums.

Lanois knows atmosphere like no other! If you liked his contribution to Friday Night Lights along with Explosions In The Sky - you will love this instrumental album. Lanois has produced masterworks such as U2's "Joshua Tree," Peter Gabriel's "So," Bob Dylan's "Time out of Mind" and Emmylou Harris's "Wrecking Ball."

It's been a great June and yes I'm still listening to U2's HTDAAB!

G

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey G, send your e-mail address to jhiebert@gmail.com -- I've got a musical source you might be interested in.

Rosster said...

I will check out the Lanois. There are some great bass riffs in X & Y. I don't very often listen for the bass like I do on some of these tracks !!!