Wednesday, June 22, 2005

New Movies

The two latest movies I've seen in the theatre have been the 3rd episode of Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith and the newly imagined Batman movie - Batman Begins. Revenge of the Sith definitely is the best of the prequel - with a facinating storyline which traces the fall of Anakin Skywalker and rise of Darth Vader. The actual turning point from good to evil was a bit awkward but the second half of the movie proved to be both interesting and finally hooked me into the story. The whole meeting of the Jedi council in all three movies reminded me of some dull board or faculty meetings I've attended and I quite liked seeing Yoda kick butt rather than sitting on his butt and giving his advice!

Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne is definitely the best interpretation thus far and his Batman probably as well. It's been awhile since I have viewed any of the other Batman attempts - I never could believe Michael Keaton as a superhero, Val Kilmer generally is an amazing actor but even his attempt didn't find the persona like Bale has. The least believable Batman/Bruce Wayne was definitely George Clooney, who in the majority of movies he has "acted" in plays himself.

What made the movie so good was the "reality" of it - Gotham and Bruce Wayne were actually believable. The backstory to Batman is such a good one and to finally see on the screen done correctly definitely was rewarding. It was great to finally have a Batman that had a fully developed character and not be overshadowed by a more interesting nemesis. Jack Nicholson as joker in the first Batman movie cleary stole the focus away from the Dark Night - his classic Joker line is forever etched in my brain, "Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Of the two movies - my favorite lies with Batman Begins! I'm interested in seeing War of The Worlds and really hope Cruise doesn't mess it up and turn the classic story into Independence Day. I have to admit to chuckling during the Dukes of Hazzard trailer - it'll either be really good or really bad. We'll see! Apparently summer has started...

G

No comments: