Wednesday, April 06, 2005

musings on weather, travel, escape...

Weather plays such a huge factor in attitude and perhaps even our overall health! Finally, the majority of snow has disappeared meaning that I will shortly be able to enjoy mtn biking in hills of the Sandilands (about 20 minutes away). Two weeks left of teaching here at the college and I get to escape to North Carolina for a week & a bit where I imagine it will be considerably warmer!

What is it about travel that get's me so stoked? I think the opportunity for escape, for play are key factors in that. Escape from the norm and to once again engage in something natural & away from the confines of my office or classroom! It is amazing how closed in I feel when weather is dreary or cold. When it warms up - I just want to jump out my office window and ride off to some adventure.

Thanks much to those who have contributed to my discussion on defining play. I hope to better develop a philosophy of play for my outdoor education class that I will be teaching next fall, so any gleanings I gain from interactions here will definitely be of use! I encourage any visitor to exploreplay to post whatever thoughts you have - even if you think play is all bunk.

G

My 3 year old daughter recently announced that she wants to go to Africa. I asked her when we should leave - her reply? After supper but first she needed to pack her toys in her backpack. My sister & bro-in-law currently are living in Ethiopia working with Sudanese refugees and so part of the reason for Chelsea's comments reflect her desire to visit her cousins but also so she can go on a plane ride.

3 comments:

R. said...

The weather has been wonderful and I do find I am blowing off indoor chores for out door fun/work. I don't want to miss the sun by staying inside!!!

Mommy's Warm Weather Adventure: I packed up my toddler yesterday and headed off the closest park with the longest cement path I could find for a much needed rollarblading escape. It has been over 2 years since I have done that and it won't be two years before I get to it again. Now count down to putting the boat back in the lake!!!

Your little one wants to go to Africa?? Very cute...after dinner. It is amazing what your sister and brother in-law are doing, and with such little ones!!! How is their ministry going? I think it would be interesting to do a story about them in our MOPS (mops.org) newsletter. I write the newsletters for our local group. What do you think?

Garth said...

Thanx for your comments rachel - I managed to escape this afternoon with my 3 year old daughter for a walk (run) to the park. We live nearby the local park area and it is an easy escape to make. Complete with a hill, some trees, a pond, some tire swings & climbing obstacles, soccer & ball fields, etc - it really is neat to have off our backyard!

We're having really warm weather for this time of the year 21 deg celsius today (70 deg f)! Anyways - in response to your question I'm sure you could email my sister for an interview. It is pretty intriguing raising 2 kids under the age of 2 in a third world country.

Just give me a shout via email. gdagger73@hotmail.com

R. said...

Sorry about the delay. I will email you soon about the interview. I have been enjoying the turn of weather myself! But need to get this newsletter done and think your sisters' story would be something the moms would really love to hear about. We are a Christian based org.