Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Day Six: April 26 - Kayak Green River

It may have been a late start to a day of adventure but by 1:00 pm we were on the Green River, a good introductory whitewater river with mainly class 1 & 2 rapids with perhaps a class 3 descent or two. Michael (the LDP director & good friend) took the lead in his spiffy green Dagger Crazy 88, followed by Mandy in her aqua Dagger Juice & the more advanced paddlers in the LDP. I took the middle group with Scott (a fellow LDP alumnus) and Bruce (Medeba's executive director) took the sweep position at the back.

Temperature wise both the water and air were more comfortable than days past. Unfortunately, the first rapid proved to be a bit technical for Cristen who ended up pinned in what we paddler's refer to as strainers - a partially submerged tree near the shore. I managed to get to her quickly, got out of my boat (a Dagger Medieval) and helped her wet exit. By then Michael, had arrived as well and comforted her on shore. I managed to free her boat from a second strainer and after a short rest - we were back on the river. There were a few more interesting and fun drops but for the most part it was a good introductory river.

I managed to do a few stern squirts and enders while playing but the Medieval is a big slicey boat compared to my ID at home. All in all, it was a great day for surfing - I even managed to do some surfing without a paddle on a really sweet, stationary wave. I was able to carve back and forth using my hands & my body position within my boat. We also found a large inflateable beach-type ball on the shore line near a bamboo forest and played with it down the doldrum sections. I will be bringing it home to my girls for future explorations of play in a pool or beach setting.

Our evening goals were to meet the Pritchard's at their uncle's cabin near the Tuckaseegee area but we managed to get their around 8:30 - over three hours later than we planned. It was good to connect with another former LDP - McKinley Pritchard. We ended up in a hotel room in Bryson City around 11:00 and thanx to the schmoozing of Tyson & Lisa - paid $60 for two rooms to escape having to set up camp in the rain and darkness.

G

1 comment:

Medeba Guy said...

We were blessed to have someone like you right there to do the rescue. Thanks again Garth!