Friday, April 29, 2005

Day Nine: April 29 - The Little Tennesse River

A foggy, dreary morning turned into a warm & sunny day of paddling a very basic but fun river. It had it's moments of frivolity and whitewater moments but again a very introductory river meant to once again encourage paddling skills and confidence. It was great getting to know Eric - the MIA LDP who got called back to the Reserves (Air Force) half way through the program. Gradually, I'm getting a really good understanding of the ethos of this year's LDP participants.

We had hoped to also paddle a section of the Nantahala today but we ended up trying to get one of the van's lights to function correctly. We were unable to accomplish that but were treated to a true mexican meal experience courtesy of the generosity of Eric at a local Mexican restaurant called Guayabitos. Bueno good!

I connected well with the group tonight and the study went really well in my estimation. I'm really enjoying getting to know the guys of the group and hope to keep in contact with them following the trip. I chatted with Bret after the study and hopefully encouraged him to continue to live out the passion he has for his future in camp ministry. He's been a great tent mate. Tyson & Terry both have impressed me as well as future leaders in whatever they pursue.

Two more nights and I see my family! The hope is to paddle the Nantahala tomorrow and leave for Asheville sometime after supper. I'll be sleeping in the airport for night and hopefully arrive back home Sunday morning!

No comments: