Thursday, April 21, 2005

Day One: April 21, 2005 Toronto-West Guilford, Ontario

Written in the Dunning Loft

"Life has been non-stop busyness and I am looking forward to relaxing, traveling, & to the tales of adventure to be had paddling the rivers & biking the mountains of North Carolina. Clearly, family will be missed but it will be good to breathe in exploration & play once again. For the moment, I am back at Medeba in West G - my & Wendy's home from 98-99 while we participated in a Leadership Development Program. My conversations with my friends Michael & Bruce once again are self-reflective narratives that always lead to introspection & dreaming about the future. We speak the same language and I feel blessed to once again interact with two key mentors in my life."

Here's a joke: "How many emo-boys does it take to change a light bulb? None - they like to sit in the dark alone and cry."

"On my flight over from Winnipeg I managed to read my way through Douglas Coupland's Life After God. It's a first-person ramble that reveals a post-Christian generation which struggles to find meaning in life. Interestingly, near the end of the story the main character shares, "My secret is that I need God - that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem to be capable of giving; to help me be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness, to help me love, as I seem beyond being able to love." It echoes my sentiments well after a spent teaching year. I have once again realized that to be a good teacher requires a dependence beyond myself."

G

No comments: