Saturday, April 30, 2005

Day Ten: April 30 - Kayak Nantahala

We awoke to the sounds of rain and thunder. Admittedly, I was somewhat discouraged by it all - hoping this wouldn't prevent me from paddling my favorite river in the area! Thankfully by about 9:30 the rains & storm had let up somewhat turning into a cloudy mist type of drizzle.

After some genius shuttle math (surprisingly due to my normally inept calculations) on my part, we decided to take one van to the put-in and a second van 1/2 way down past some of the more advanced class III sections. After dropping us off at the put-in, Cristin drove our van back to the NOC parking lot and drove with the second group to the halfway mark and did the same for them.

It was great paddling the Nantahala river again, it started out with a bang (as it did last time I was here) but all went well this time. I still remember the carnage six years ago with some LDP paddlers who probably should not have put-in at that point. It was really a beautiful and almost surreal experience running the rapids through the mist and rain. Sometimes, it was so foggy that it was hard to see Micheal in the lead boat.

I managed to get a little surfing in on a wave but I ended up swimming after I was unable to setup my roll - I'll blame it on my sore forearm but in reality I'm simply rusty when it comes to my roll. I used to have a pretty much bombproof roll but I haven't really paddled since last spring. My last summer was spent building a house, prepping for new courses, and of course welcoming Aimee into our lives in August as our second daughter to be born! After my swim - I definitely felt the cold and it clearly affected my paddle. I also felt the affects which I nicknamed Guyabito's Revenge in my stomach which churned a bit like some of the whitewater I was running. All in all though - it was a fun descent but I decided to not run the falls this time around. I had nothing to prove having run it three or four times six years ago. I'll be back with a bombproof roll next time.

Michael, Scott, Eric, Lisa, Tyson, & Bret all successfully ran the falls but most of them ended up having to do a roll. Tyson almost lost it at the top of the falls but managed to get straightened out before plunging into a pretty gnarly but safe hole. Although envious, I was very proud of them all!

Kayaking Mayhem @ Nantahalla
After the fun on the Nantahala we returned to Tsali and I began the arduous task of packing. It was to get cleaned up and enjoy a brief but hot shower as well. Supper was good - Mediterranean Rissoto I believe. I spent some time writing goodbyes in the trip journal and saying goodbyes before leaving with Eric and his Jeep Liberty for the Asheville Airport along with Bret, Tyson & Terry.

My time in the airport was uneventful but it has given me time to reflect, read, and unwind. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to sleep much here but soon I will be home!

No comments: