Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Winnipeg Arena Dies

Oh - here's a sad note - they blew up the 'old barn,' also known as the 'white house' - the Winnipeg Arena is no more. I have many fond memories of the Winnipeg Jets, the glory years of the NHL, and a few good rock shows at the arena as well. Here's an article about the arena's destruction (apparently took a bit - the arena just didn't want to die without a fight) , Manitoba Photos captured these pics that captures the before and after well, and below are some pics I borrowed from the web:



2 comments:

Jaime said...

I had a chance to drive past the old barn the day before the final demolition dynamite blow-up. I have to say it was a rather sad moment. My brother and I basically grew up watching Jets games w/ my parents in that old arena. It really was a great part of my childhood that will be missed.

Garth said...

I caught a puck in that arena - Randy Carlyle if memory serves me correctly. I still have it and the memories of the White-Out, etc. will forever linger with me! I too keep thinking about a whole generation of kids who won't see hockey the way it used to be!