Saturday, March 18, 2006

Passion For Adventure Quote

While posting on my friend Dave's Squarefoot Blog in response to Seeking Adventure this interesting quote from Jon Krakauer's book Into The Wild came to me:
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances & yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
Aron Ralston author of Between A Rock & A Hard Place (the guy who had to amputate his own arm after a boulder shifted on it while canyoneering) uses this quote as a manifesto for his life and it is one that I continue to process. I think the second week of exploreplay I used this quote for a blogpost but I find it helpful to revisit ideas or posts. Any thoughts out there?

4 comments:

izippy said...

The pressure to conform to society is huge! If you step out and do something different people think there is something wrong with you. I know of so many people who at one point in their lives had big dreams and now just muddle along because they think that it is the only option.
For myself, I will be graduating from Bible College in a number of weeks. I will need to work for about a year to pay off school debts and I pray that I do not lose my desire to get out there and make a difference. I want to do something different, not just what everybody else is doing. That was an amazing quote you posted and it really struck home with me. I hope my life will always be filled with new experiences!

Garth said...

Absolutely Brad the pressure to conform is huge. We all need to measure up to the Jones down the street who have two incomes, 4 cars, a swimming pool, a cottage, and make trips annually! We've made the choice to live on one meagre income and had to make some obvious adjustments to our budget. But we want our daughters to be raised by us and not a government daycare.

All the best with your graduation - my students will be graduating in six weeks!

I'm glad you enjoyed the quote - it's not something easy to live out though.

Chris said...

Garth, I'm catching up with my reading and came back to your writings at perhaps the most opportune time. The quote you offer runs parallel with our decision to pick up roots here in Washington DC (which were never very deep to begin with) and replant and set deeper in Austin TX. We don't really have jobs yet or a house, but something about that same spirit of adventure and desire to not aim for small and safe is what is calling us. You might like the prayer that I posted at my site from earlier this week. Be well.

Garth said...

Admittedly, my visits to your site have been a bit infrequent as of late - you know the story...too little time and too much to do. Thanks for the inspiring prayer you used in your post...I will try and respond to your post as well.

Texas! That's one big state you are moving to. I have a buddy there working on his Ph. D. He even picked up that slow southern drawl in the few years he's been there. All the best as you continue to pursue adventure & explore life to the fullest!