Sunday, March 26, 2006

Road Trip Quote

I read Donald Miller's Through Painted Deserts a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It's a road trip memoir about three months spent crossing the U.S. in a VW camping van. Something I'd really like to do someday. It actually reminded me a bit of my family travelling in our van back in the 80's on one of our many family trips. We actually ironically drove through the Painted Desert and explored the edge of the Grand Canyon. Miller's book brought me back in time and forced me to imagine future travel. Here's a random quote that caught my eye:
"Rarely do I question the mystery of it all. We are atoms connected to create big, awkward, intelligent animals, animals complex in construction, equipped with minds, hearts, and the like. Spinning secretly around us in an intricate system of interconnected physical laws, completely dependent upon one another for effectiveness. And we are in the middle of it; actor's on Shakespeare's stage, madmen in Nietzsche's streets, accidents in Sagan's universe, children in God's creation...On one of our trips to central Texas, I stood at the top of a desert hill and looked up into the endlessness of the heavens, deep into the inky blackness of the cosmos, those billion stars seeming to fall through the void from nowhere to nowhere. I stood there for twenty minutes, and as it had a few times that year, my mind fell across the question why?" - D. Miller
Here's to stepping into mystery and road-trips in a VW camper van!

No comments: