Thursday, March 16, 2006

Life in the New World

Have you ever thought about what it would have been like to have been those first European explorers who found the so-called New World? To step foot on land that supposedly had never been seen before by your culture? What was life like in the New World? We know from history that it was not an easy life but it definitely was one of adventure, of discovery!

I'm at a place right now where I'd like to travel somewhere new, to experience something for the first time! I've had those moments of glory over the course of my existence. I have been to some places that few others have been and I value those times as ones that I will treasure always. It is those unique moments of self-discovery, of new ideas or concepts, a paradigm shift that excite me as a teacher. As a guide in the outdoors - it is the wonder of seeing nature untamed, the streaks of light seen in a meteor shower, the dance of aurora's lights in the northern sky, the awe of a lone wolf howling at the moon, the roar of a waterfall, the list continues...the question is am I ready for what's next or is it even necessary to be ready?

Maybe part of the adventure of life is not knowing what's around the next bend in the river.

4 comments:

Yasser Rahman said...

Oh yes, i often think about it. WHat if I was the first person to land on america.... Or india for that matter LOL

Discovery and Invention are things that fasicanate me, i really have that desire to go out and find out things :)

Garth said...

I know close to nothing about India - I have to admit an interest in visiting your country some day. I had a classmate in graduate school who was from India and he peaked my interest. The desire of discovery is one of the keys to learning...I was one of those odd kids who read the encyclopedia for fun growing up! But it is one thing to read about something and a completely different thing to experience it firsthand!

Dave said...

It's kinda like having kids, are you ready? But ask any parent, were they ready when the first kid arrived? Never. How can you be ready for something you have never experienced. You can imagine all of the practical things and try to prepare yourself. What to do when changing diapers is a really smelly job (Hon, I'm kinda busy, could you please change that?). But it's all the new experiences that you can't prepare for no matter how much you try. Looking into the eyes of a brand new baby and knowing that this child is your child. There's not way to prepare, it's simply something you have to experience.

So, having said that, why don't we stop over preparing ourselves, take the neccessary precautions, and just see what happens? What does it mean to be ready? Isn't just keeping your senses sharp and observant? I think we place far too much stock in "security" and not enough in our own fortitude.

But, I'm beginning to ramble.

Garth said...

I think that's why I love whitewater - you need to be ready for anything. Yes it takes some skills to stay upright and hit the eddies to avoid holes or rocks but you never fully in control. You can scout a river from the shore but you really only understand the rapids once you are in them. And even then that understanding is only temporary as river morphology changes with the rise and fall of water levels. Kayaking is bit like playing chess while dodging snowballs that are being thrown at you. You make your moves, avoid the obstacles, and hope you make it through using the limited experience & skills you have.