Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Vampire Killer?

Grace takers versus grace givers....

Do we just drink the blood of salvation as some type of a pseudo-vampire professing belief in Christ (with apologies to Williard) or do we share the good news that there is hope in a future & present kingdom of peace?

Are we believers in Jesus or are we followers? Or do we view Jesus as simply a radical teacher who happened to claim that He was the truth, the life, the way?

Some still are seeking truth, others believe it as if it were true, some live truth and share it with whoever is willing to hear them out...

Do we got to church to have our needs met or to meet the needs of the church? Or do we even consider church to be anything other than a building?

Do we worship in song to attain some type of temporary euphoria or to truly acknowledge that God in someway has worth in our lives? Perhaps we worship our own lives, our successes, our personal kingdoms. "What have I become? My sweetest friend; Everyone I know goes away; In the end; And you could have it all My empire of dirt." - Hurt (as sung by Johnny Cash)

I long for honesty, integrity, & a genuine passion for living a life dedicated to following Jesus whereever He leads - even if it means to accept whatever the circumstance and actually embrace suffering...

There is something beautiful yet terrifying about a genuine Christianity that dies to self and lives on in others...

There is something disgusting, vomit-producing about the lukewarm faith of a so-called "Sunday Christian" - but then again how many of us actually live out what we believe?

There is something freeing about giving grace to others and not keeping it locked up in the confines of our own caged heart...

There is something holy about recognizing how unworthy but how amazingly our lives can be transformed from something of filth into something more pristine than a waterfall in the garden of Eden...

Are you a bloodsucker or do you share your lifeblood with those dying?

Are you willing to die for your belongings, your car, your house, your stuff - or are you willing to die to self?

The ponderings & musings of a postmodern truthseeker continue...

2 comments:

Diana said...

I was at church a couple of months ago and a brother of mine was in the row in front of me. Communion was passed out in tiny pieces of cracker. I don't know if he was just being impulsive or trying to make a point but it looked to me like he just ate the body of Christ without waiting for everyone else. It could have been something I didn't see right or it could have been nothing at all, but a little shock went through me. Did he really just eat that before anyone else? I remembered the scripture about waiting for everyone else to be served before beginning a feast. I tried not to judge him, but I am still a child in so many ways and must admit that I did. I scrutinized him thereafter to see if his actions were based on selfishness or love. In the end I fell in love with him and that made matters worse for me since he is vehemently single right now.

My point is this: If we take communion with no thought of the others we are feasting with, how will we sense the gravity of being one body? The little plastic thimbles of grape juice and the inexpensive morsels of bread seem to show me that we have lost the sense of celebration that is feasting on our Lord Jesus' loving sacrifice for us. What if, instead of all the congregation facing forward with food in one palm and drink in the other, we gathered around a table? What if we got a good look at the other parts of the body whom Christ dwells in and around? Would we be less selfish and more self-sacrificing? Would there be more tears and dancing and less of the pin-drop silence where you can hear the awkward swallowing and crunching?

Is communion cannibalistic? Are we vampires when we take the blood of Christ? I don't think so. But where there is great beauty there is also the possibility of great perversion. It is about what is in a believers heart.

I don't know if this was the answer you were looking for, but it is what came to my mind when I read your post.
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. It is good to get reflection from my brothers and sisters.

diana
www.dianaway.blogspot.com

Garth said...

Hi Diana - I enjoyed reading your posted response. I hadn't thought of communion when actually makeing my post but I can see how it triggered your response.

I think communion is something we need to celebrate as a body of believers and there is great value doing that in different contexts other than in a church building. After all, church is not about a building but about people. Communion can be done in our homes, on the street, or even on a camping trip as long as it honors God & the sacrifice of Christ for our sins.

I can see how you would be somewhat bothered by someone taking communion before the prayer or before everyone partook in the "feast." Interestingly, my church recently took a more experiential approach to communion in that the bread was at the front of the church along with those thimbles of grape juice and we were encouraged to come forward after preparing our hearts & minds for communion. We then took the bread & juice went back to our seats and ate & drank when we felt stirred to do so. It was a unique approach - almost a mix of Protestant & Catholic ceremony. The other cool thing was that the bread was actually fresh loaves of bread & not soda crackers. It was neat to tear off a piece of the loaf and get the cup of juice.

As far as viewing communion as vampirish (I know that isn't a word but hey this is a blog)? No I actually wasn't alluding to that but perhaps if the motives are wrong it could be seen as that. I was actually commenting on the fact that so many of us take our salvation forgranted. We accept Christ's sacrifice, his shed blood - get our ticket to heaven and just keep living life like everyone else. It's like we lap up the blood of life for ourselves and are unwilling to share any of it with anyone else. I personally am disturbed by that...I think we are called to be followers of Christ not simply believers. Now having said that - it is easier to be the latter isn't it? But what's the point? Does it not seem rather selfish to find salvation and not share the good news with others?