Friday, October 15, 2004

J33:3

Bono once described himself as having a form of Tourette's syndrome where he would always mention God in places where it was taboo. As if to confirm that, Bono recently confessed in Rolling Stone Magazine that the J33-3 on the cover of the album is a scripture reference. The verse is Jeremiah 33:3 and says "Call to me and I will answer you." "It's known as God's phone number" says Bono.

The above quote links nicely to my theme for this college year - "The Calling." What is our calling, our purpose in life, our passion? I love to teach - nothing gets me more excited (other than spending time with my family or spending some of my excess energy kayaking or mountain biking). Unfortunately, I'm at a stage or season right now though where excess energy just isn't there. I feel like spent uranium - I still can pack a punch but I no longer radiate as I was meant to do. I have mismanaged the time given me and filled it up with stuff I am unable to complete. The result is that I am experience a definite valley spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally (not that there is a way of really separating the mind, body, heart & spirit). Despite the darkness I still have hope.

I can feel with Bono in that I often mention God in places where it may not be expected. That is because I see God in the strangest of places. I hear him listening to The Clash's song "Should I stay or should go" or watching an episode of Extreme Makeover Family Edition. It's weird where God appears. I've had another song in my head this past week - Bruce Cockburn's Closer To The Light - the chorus that goes something like "Gone from mystery into mystery, gone from daylight into night, another step deeper into darkness, closer to the light."

Ironically it is in those deep dark valleys or caves in the seasons of our life that we find that glimpse of grace, that distant hope that leads us back into the light. Right now, like David the Psalmist - I am frustrated with the world & chaos around me but I still have to be thankful for how God has blessed me & my family.

"What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation -- A toast to God! I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, And I'll do it together with his people." - Bono quoted Eugene Peterson's paraphrase The Message Psalm 116 on the Elevation Tour before singing out "Where The Streets Have No Name."

G

Here's to simply taking a deep breath!

3 comments:

tfoxfan said...

You say Bono, and I pay attention. For me - it's Running to Stand Still, or Ultraviolet. Wow.

I completely hear what you are saying about feeling close to God in the most unlikely places. I often recognize these moments as moments of worship and also self-reflection. Watching movies, listening to music, running, and travel have much more impact on me than any formal attempt to reach God.

If you feel restless or frustrated with your personal space - something great will come of it. Often that understanding doesn't come quick enough, but it does and it will be great! Keep up the blogs - like you and I have agreed - authenticity is what really matters.

Garth said...

It's interesting that our postmodern mindsets respond more to a musician's comments on stage or to a song that is sung than what a pastor might say on a Sunday morning. Perhaps it is our suspicion of so-called experts. How can anyone know for certain? Facts & rationalism no longer cut it in our world. It is the mosiac of our experiences, our stories, our thoughts, our lives & interactions with others that best reflect our understanding of God.

I think I've realized this before but it has recently struck me how our spiritual lives are often quite seasonal. We may feel an intimacy with our understanding of God at one point and then be as mad as a rapid dog at Him the next. How long must we sing this song? How long.

G

I've appreciated your random culture blogposts as well!

tfoxfan said...

I like what you said about being a "rabid dog". I seriously think that being angry with God is something that is essential in order to be spiritually authentic. I also understand that it is difficult to recognize it as okay to do because we've been programmed (while growing up) that it isn't okay at all. If I am supposed to be on my best behaviour for anyone, particularly God, then forget it. Impossible.