Friday, March 09, 2007

Vintage 1989

Weird to think anything is vintage that was made in 1989 but as I googled Game Boy - sure enough it came up as a vintage on Ebay and instead of selling for $99 it is listed at 99 cents. I'm sure it will sell for more but wow! Interestingly, I still have my Game Boy from 1989 and I definitely used it well.
It's pea-green monochrome screen has a few scratches but it has held up well over the test of time. SuperMarioLand & Tetris were probably the most used games on it...

My first year of college I admit to bringing it along to a few of my more dull classes where profs would drone on about theology & philosophy. Tetris helped me stay awake and provided some entertainment while I took in all that valuable information. Plus it had that lovely classical music that obviously deepened my understanding of musical scales & timing. Those creative Russians!
Oh the ironies of life as I know all too well that I've had students playing Solitaire in class on their handy dandy laptops. I like to think generally speaking my lectures keep most more focused & alert. But who knows? I realize that I do use big words too and bring up theology & philosophy in class as well...ultimately - I do know that my relationships with students in the end will count more than anyone lecture but it was cool to get a note & a few comments from students this week who appreciated how the classes had connected with them - maybe the mojo is real!

No comments: