Saturday, December 02, 2006

Soundtrack of December

I'm not a huge fan of the whole Christmas genre of music generally speaking but there are the few obvious gems like Silent Night or O Holy Night. I personally find that the whole "Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, & Santa" deal gets old fast. My pet peeve is actually Xmas music in stores or shopping centers. Maybe it is the attempt to get us happy consumers to buy more by being in a festive spirit that personally makes me want to hurl or take up Rudoph-hunting as a new sport.

In fact, when it comes to Christmas giving, I'm more in the category of Buy Nothing Christmas or giving more alternative gifts. If you do need to buy something - why not check out Ten Thousand Villages which carries products from overseas that actually support people who really do need economic support more than we need little knick-knacks on our shelves collecting dust. Or why not as a group of friends or family buy a goat or chickens for people living in lesser developed nations - check out World Vision gifts.

If you do need some Christmas music check out Sufjan Steven's Songs For Christmas - it is a great mix to have playing in the background while you deck the halls and pin up the mistletoe. A personal favorite from awhile back is Bruce Cockburn's Christmas album - also a great mix of songs with a good dose of folk-rock. For those into the more contemporary worship scene, I admit to owning City On A Hill - It's Christmas Time and it too is great background music for those family or friend get-togethers. A Very Special Christmas is an interesting an eclectic mix of rock, pop, jazz, & country artists (I think there are at least 6 different volumes now with artists like Sheryl Crow, Tom Petty, Dido, etc.) and interestingly enough the profits go to Special Olympics.

So far my soundtrack of December is pretty sparse when it comes to holiday classics other than the occasional listen to Sufjan's interpretation but I am listening to plenty of instrumental stuff. What's playing for me? Sigur Rós' Takk, The Album Leaf's Into The Blue, & Múm's Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today is Okay. So yeah - that's my current soundtrack for marking during the December season of wrapping up courses and torturing my students with exams.

2 comments:

Keira said...

I just noticed that mixed CD you gave me has basically everything except the Sufjan you intended in the first place. I haven't listened to it all, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.
Also, did you draw a picture of a boogery nose on my CD???

Garth said...

Sorry...I was going to throw Sufjan on there for yeah but I ran out of room - and the picture is courtesy of Chelsea or Aimee I believe...I don't think they were intentionally implying anything to you.