Friday, December 15, 2006

Favorite Instrumental Albums

I used to collect movie soundtracks because I love to study with background music. That love to work with music continues and I do find that instrumental stuff still works best as it allows a person to not be distracted with lyrics. I have discovered over time that music allows me to be more easily inspired & creative than simply just focusing on my work.
The Last of the Mohicans is one of those soundtracks that captured me back in 1992 - interestingly it was also background music to some of my dates with my then future wife! I also enjoyed soundtracks a little on the weird side - like the soundtrack from Twin Peaks.
If everyone remembers that David Lynch produced series, you will know what creative weirdness the music supported. It has a cool laid-back jazz feel to it and I find I still play it when I'm in more of a bluesy-jazz mood.
A recent soundtrack that I listen to from time to time is from the movie The Motorcycle Diaries - the Spanish-influenced music matches the incredible story & cinema photography of the film.
I mentioned in my previous post the powerfulness of Friday Night Light's soundtrack which was performed by Explosions in the Sky. Interestingly, as I post this - I'm listening to a similarly styled atmospheric electronica band - God Is An Astronaut - great ethereal quality to it! I think my love of the instrumental began with Joe Satriani's masterpiece Surfing With The Alien back in 1988. Satch's music may not be the trend of the 2000s but it still resonates with me how he allows his guitars to be a conduit for creative wanderings - musings if you will! Track 4 "Always With Me, Always With You" was played at our wedding by my friends Mike Janzen & Jay Kehler. Also coincidently, as I check out the cover of the cd, I have a ticket stub of when I saw Satch & guests perform at the Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall on July 13, 1990.

Other instrumental albums/artists that I have collected (note the variety of styles) over the years include: Phil Keaggy, Bruce Cockburn, Moby, Sigur Rós, The Album Leaf, Andy Hunter, Daniel Lanois, Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame), and of course my multiple jazz cds like Coltrane, Robin Nolan Trio, etc.

Any favorite instrumental albums or soundtracks that you treasure and would want to have with you on a desert island?

2 comments:

Rosster said...

Do a search on You Tube for Andy McKee and there is a song "drifting". I think this guy is taking acoustic guitar to a whole new level

Garth said...

Hey thanks for the lead - I was pleasantly surprised by his guitar-harp song "Gates to Numeria." His wizardry on strings reminded me of Satriani's slower stuff or more in the line of Keaggy live.