Thursday, September 21, 2006

Pride

A lion's pride is his family - a very different understanding of pride than one normally sees. I came across this article awhile back which shares the story of a pride of lions rescuing a young girl who had been kidnapped by some men. These lions scared off the men, and stayed with the crying girl until police arrived!


When we hear the word pride, we often think of someone self-inflated, someone who boasts or brags, and thinks only of themselves. We all have things that we can be proud of: accomplishments, rewards, degrees, etc. But they all pale in comparison to the pride that a father or mother have of their children.

As a father part of my role is to look after, guide, & teach my children. I often feel quite unworthy and occasionally not very capable. I think most parents feel this way. I make plenty of mistakes, losing my cool in attempting to intervene in a crisis or argument. But I must say the joys for me as a father are always greater than the regrets or struggles.

My pride is my family - which right now are made up of a beautiful wife and two amazing daughters. They are the perfect blend of their parents and I don't feel guilty bragging. My daughters exhibit their own unique personality, energy, strengths, & character. I know I've barely begun the privilege of being their father and I am looking forward to seeing the future accomplishments & challenges that they will face. I realize to that my role as a father is a temporary one, at least within the realm of my home. May God give me the grace to be worthy of the title - Dad!

No comments: