Thursday, September 21, 2006

Escape

To escape is to seek freedom from capture. What are the things which hold us, which prevent us from being being free? When we seek escape, it seems we are also seeking refuge. So it is not only the "slipping away" that is our concern but our destination. I love playing with words and exploring their meaning in whatever the context. This diversion called a blog, is in someway an escape. A way of allowing my thoughts escape and find refuge in a netherworld of electronic reality.

When I find escape in sport, I seek the freedom of using my body to its potential. Whether it is rhythmic pedal up a steep hill or the screaming descent into an unknown valley - it is freedom I am pursuing. Freedom from worry, from stress, from the doldrums of life. When I kiss the lips of my beloved - I am finding refuge. When I strum my guitar, when I embrace my wife & kids, when I snap a portrait, when I inhale a sunset, when I dive into the ocean, when I find a place of beauty I've never been before, when I zig zag down a powderey slope, when I surf the perfect wave, when I find the perfect melody, when I find paradise...I have escaped and explored play to its fullest.


One of my favorite quotes of Jesus states, "I have come to bring life and to bring it abundantly." Living life to the fullest - that should be what we explore, what we escape to, what we immerse ourselves into! To live without regret...

2 comments:

Dave said...

Great post. Something really resonated with me, something clicked. The concept of refuge, escape, shelter, from capture, to a destination. Just the combination of those words helped something to click. Great post.

Garth said...

Thanks Dave for your reaction or "click" as you put it. I love to explore the meanings of words as they often are blurred through time, misusage, or overuse.

The word community for instance - it can refer to anything from hanging out with friends to church to the local curling club to a city. Pure community refers to some sort of intimate connection...or a group of people sharing something in common with each other.

Glad you could escape to my blog for a bit - comments are always greatly appreciated as I think community deepens understanding of most anything!