Thursday, September 23, 2004

Teaching with Passion (Part II)

Teaching can be one of the most rewarding and most difficult occupations. On one hand you have an incredible opportunity to explore our worlds and on the other - the incredible challenge of keeping people engaged in whatever topic you are teaching on. Obviously the more relevant & applicable the topic - the easier it is. So I struggle on and find those glimpses of "ahas" and "Yeah! I learned something new!"

So here I am, hoping that in some way I actually am doing what I feel passionate about doing. But also realizing that there are always multiple dyadic relationships in a classrom, and naturally I will connect more with certain types of students than others. It may not be realistic to reach everyone but that does not mean I cannot endeavor to do so. I believe St. Paul talks something about "pressing onward and taking hold of the truth?" That's what I feel I am called to do - to keep exploring, to keep striving, and to keep teaching with passion. I don't have all the answers and I definitely haven't reached perfection, not even close but I have to push on and claim what I am called to do. If I don't - there is no reason for me to put the energy I do into each class I teach.

Kicking the darkness till it bleeds daylight,

G

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.The great teacher inspires. - William Arthur Ward

No comments: