Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Spam

You should really check out the original blogpost but I had to repeat this particular Kiwi's take on spam:

My name is Spam.
Spam I Am.
I have some stuff I'd like to sell.
Take a look! It's really swell!

I do not want your worthless spam.
I do not want it, Spam I Am.

Spam I Am:$500 software that really rocks!
Just 20 bucks--still in the box!

You are really full of bunk.
I do not want your bootleg junk!
I do not want your worthless Spam.
I do not want it Spam I Am.

Spam I Am:How about some fast cash?
Fifty Thousand in a flash!!!

How stupid do you think I am?
I won't join your shady scam.
You are a sucker, you silly gitch.
If it worked, we'd all be rich!
I do not want your worthless spam.
I do not want it Spam I Am.
Stop it Spam.
Enough's enough.
I do not want your trashy stuff!
I do not want your d___ spam!
I do not want it Spam I Am!

(with apologies to Dr. Suess)

What makes the article so interesting is that it compares spam to some modernist forms of evangelism. The blogger asks the question, "Do the evangelism attempts of your church ever seem like spam to you or others?" A friend of mine recently received one of those cartoon evangelism tracts (that were so big in the 70's) from the local baptist church. You know the ones that show you on a life destined to hell and are backed by of out-of-context verses in a language apparently used by King James. Ironically - the cartoon designed to scare people into heaven out of the fear of burning in hell - just scares people.

Actually, what the cartoon told me is that I know where I won't be going - to that little baptist church on the corner that tells me I'm not "saved" unless I read my bible (KJV only) daily, go to church with a steeple, wear a suit & tie, pray to God daily & do devotions, sing out of a hymn book, etc. Why won't I go there? Well - it seems they've forgotten the simple fact that the things we do (no matter how good or significant) has ever brought redemption. I'm not saying we shouldn't read our bibles or go to a church building. Only that doing stuff like that never made anyone any less of a sinner. Grace saves. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't spam...be real, be honest, be willing to love others in a way that Christ did. None of us like cheap imitations, empty promises, or gimmicks.

G

No comments: