Sunday, September 12, 2004

Hurt

Johnny Cash died one year ago today. The Man in Black is someone who I came to deeply respect and love. His music - particularly the American Recordings - not only continues to inspire me as a musician but also my understanding of humanity, God, & love. The video for Hurt is one of the most powerful audio-visual works of art I have ever seen. I grew up on Johnny Cash's songs from my dad's music collection and came to appreciate him again in my late twenties and now in my thirties. The Johnny Cash website has a moving tribute video online right now - I encourage you to check it out.

G

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

The Hurt video is exceptionally powerful -- thanks for sharing the link. I always liked the original song too, but Cash managed to transform Reznor's angst into something simultaneously sadder and more hopeful.

Garth said...

I totally agree with your comments Jer. Johnny Cash had the unique ability of making others' songs his own. Even if the original was powerful already - somehow when that baritone voice rings out it becomes his. I'm not sure if you have heard Sheryl Crow's version of Hurt - also mournfully incredible! She sang it at the JC tribute last year. Apparently - JC's final recording American V has Sheryl Crow's Redemption Day on it...no word yet on when that release will happen.

Jeremy said...

No, I haven't heard the Sheryl Crow version...will have to hunt that one down.

That Cash video is astounding for its ability to capture the essence of a life (and the ending of one) in four minutes. Unreal.