Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Teaching With Passion (Part I)

Amazing how time flies - two weeks of teaching seem like a blur right now. This is year three for me teaching full-time in a college. It has its joys and its struggles - sometimes the joys and struggles are the same but usually I place them in different categories. I made the comment in my classroom the other day that my greatest struggle or frustration is to not be able to have every student leave my class being changed in some way. Not necessarily changed by my input, but by them actually processing the information presented or discussed. I love to teach, I love to share things that I have learned or am learning. I love to see minds explore, process information, create new ideas, and frankly - I love to see minds struggle.

I love this quote from Bruce Cockburn, "But nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight --Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight..." We need those mountains to climb, to struggle with, and hopefully summit! That is how we learn and how we grow as people.

We are all or should be in pursuit of a calling, a natural or even supernatural pull towards fulfillment. In my case - I have what I believe a spiritual calling to teach. My passion is to inspire others to find their calling and enable them, equip them for the tasks they have been called to. Nothing excites me more than to see students graduate and to actually put their faith, their dreams, their calling into action.

G

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn. - Anonymous

No comments: