Friday, September 24, 2004

Life in the fastlane...

Life is going way too fast these days... I can't believe I am past the half way point in the course I am teaching! It all seems like a blur. What is this rat-race we are in. Why do we do what we do? I've answered this question to a point in my last two previous posts but I still question the obscene hours that I and so many of my friends & colleagues go through.

I have a friend from high school that has a blog devoted to the exploration of lifestylism. His posts & links have brought to me a number of questions in regards to the choices we make in living the lives that we do. I think many young adults are now questioning the lifestyle choices of the previous generation. Why do we need the two car, 3000 sq ft home, & $100,000 + salary? What is the best way to raise kids in this postmodern society? How do we best educate our children? We all know what a failure the public school system is and universities are not much better. Why do we live the lives we do and are there some better choices that we could make? Perhaps living a life that is simpler and maybe does not require to full-time incomes is the way to go. I will close today's post with two quotes from Thoreau:
Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify, simplify! ... Simplicity of life and elevation of purpose.

Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

3 comments:

Avi said...

Indeed many Americans(and others around the globe) are already striving for a simpler, saner life:
Simple Living Network Forum

Garth said...

Thanks for your comments Avi! I have travelled to Israel back in my college years in 1991. I took a course on the Archeology of the Holy Land at Jerusalem University College which involved touring throughout Israel. I'm reading a book that may interest you entitled The Overload Syndrom by Dr. Swenson - see amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576831310/qid=1097376225/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_1_2/702-7865552-1127237

Avi said...

Thanks Garth,
I have read Swenson's book and also his 'Margin'and found them very helpful in deconditioning from the 'work is life' paradigm.
See Psalm 46:11 in this regard: "Desist!Realize that I am God!"