Saturday, October 27, 2007

Musings of a Busy Man

Life whirls on...like tin can being pushed end over end by a gust of wind. Sometimes it all gets to be too much doesn't it? We want the busyness to relinquish its grip on our lives. We feel like we can't keep going, we can't hold on, we need to let go. It is not that we should play or work or spend time doing what we are called to do but sometimes, we simply are doing too much! So how do we find that balance of rest & work & play? How do I find the time to unwind and still spend time with family and still get that pile of work done?

The Sabbath was a day we once set aside. For merchants it seemed a waste to not be open when we could be making more money. The city I live in is rare in its decision to keep the majority of businesses from being open but I'm grateful. The Sabbath is a day created not for God but for us to enjoy. For us to rest, to worship our Creator, to enjoy His Creation. And so we pray & we play on Sundays. It is good.

But we're not so good at that resting part, and quite frankly, it takes a good 24 hours of not doing anything for us to even enjoy it. We often need a holiday after having a holiday just to adapt to it all.

Change is good thing, and if anything, the change from working to not working is a life-giver all on its own. This next week is our fall break in our college year but I'm taking advantage of the "free time" to take my students to camp for my outdoor education class. Okay so I'm still working but in part it will be play and definitely a change from the classroom - so I'm hoping I'll find some rest there. We'll see!

No comments: