Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bats and other freaky animals

This past Sunday, the usher at our church greeted us with gesture to look at a bat that was clinging to the brick wall of our entrance. My girls were obviously enthralled and by the time the morning service was done, the bat ended up in a nearby tree for further inspection. Bats are one of those creatures that just are mysterious eh? I once caught one in a net at Red Rock down by the beach - it was perched upside down beneath the eaves of my lifeguarding beach house. They aren't the prettiest animal out there when you see them in daylight. In fact, they look pretty menacing up close - which why I suppose the comic hero Batman is the Dark Knight!

The Sucker-Footed Bat - you'd think it'd be unique enough with the radar headgear - but no this little guy was created with suction cups!!!

So to make an interesting random musing yet more unique, I came across the following freaky animal pictures on another site and I figured why not post some of them here and tie them to wikipedia for further inspection? This blog has been a bit stale as of late, so maybe this will give some inspiration to any other writers or readers that lurk in this part of the world wide web!


The Axolotl - strangely happy & friendly looking with just a touch of creepyness?

The Aye Aye - personally I think just some rat that had a really rough night!

Don't you just wanna give this thing (Star-Nosed Mole) a big smooch - NOT!

The Saki Monkey so should have been in the Planet of the Apes Movie.

The Blob Fish - quite possibly the ugliest living thing ever! Remember the cartoon Ziggy? Well it kind of looks like a Ziggy left out in the sun too long...!

The appropriately named Yeti Crab - yep it's a furry crab - who wouldn't wanna cuddle with that bad boy!

The Tarsier - gotta love those alien-like eyes!

1 comment:

Keira said...

There was a bat at your church last year too - I wonder if it's the same one?
Those are some pretty awesome creatures. When I was a kid I wanted a tarsier for a pet - I taped a picture of one to the inside of my journal.