Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Mighty Ducks of Star Lake

Another series featuring a clearly identified subject - the mighty ducks of Star Lake. They happen to rest upon our shoreline occasionally - I guess they like the beach?A classic headshot - good color in the shot but not overly exciting.
One of my personal favorite shots in this set - I love how the middle duck pops amongst his blurred siblings. I got unbelievable close to these presumably wild ducks who only got nervous when I got closer than a couple feet from them or made an unnatural sound.
Another tight closeup - wildlife photographers recommend focusing on the eye of the subject but ducks are tough because of their large beaks which tend to become the focal point - so I focus just behind the eye.
Another group shot of the ducklings - not sure how old these babies are but they still can't fly.
I like the huddle of the ducks on the beach with the lake within squawking distance!
Another headshot - with a curious nip of feather in its' beak - probably from grooming itself or one of its ducklings.I'm in the water for this shot - which panics the mama duck a bit until all the ducklings leave the beach and start to explore the shoreline. They calm down eventually and I get a whack of pictures of them in the water. I had to really play with my exposures here with the fading light of the sun setting.A shot taken basically right above the duck in the water - I wanted to capture the webbed foot utilizing the almost clear water that magnifies the sandy bottom. The orange-y color is the result of the light & sand below.Another favorite shot of mine - taken at their level towards the shore with the sun setting behind me. My camera was inches from the surface of the lake & I managed to still get their reflection in the water along with some color from the sun.

No comments: