Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ebb & Flow

I can tell I haven't been out on my bike for awhile as I'm a little edgy. Probably doesn't help that I got about two hours of sleep last night thanks to my Aimee having a fever & becoming somewhat hallucinogenic. She claimed spiders were in her bed and woke us up with a full on blood-curdling scream - poor girl but daddy came to the rescue. Hard to be compassionate though when you are half-asleep but I pulled through. I love my girls & now my son so much! They are the biggest gifts I've ever received and that they are a reflection of my love for my wife and it just makes me marvel.
I love the ocean, the surge of waves, the sound of water crashing and the taste of sea salt on my lips. I even miss the sting of ocean water in the eyes - apparently that is acquired because that is most people's complaint about the sea. But it is the sting that heals cuts, that softens the water & makes it unique from a lake or river. I love the ebb & flow of it all...reminds me of that the circle of life has that same tide. At times all is calm & peaceful, other times we are in the chaos of a storm. It was after the flood that the rainbow came out. - G
I'm listening to some great tunes right now that speak to me on so many levels: right now I'm enjoying a band called Aqualung - album is entitled Memory Man. Coldplay meets Radiohead meets the 70's folk rock. I really like the vocals, lyrics & the great building groove overall that happens throughout the album. Positive but melancholy lyrically, super-reflective and yeah just a mirror of where I am at right now. You are what you eat - right?
Also enjoying a band called Anberlin which reminds me of Jimmy Eat World - heavy, pushing, all out rock with a hint of emo & punk - check out their 2007' release entitled Cities.
Also of interest to me sonically is Blonde Redhead's 23 album - really unique sounding female vox, great vibe, sort of emotive & wandering, reflective & soaring...very enjoyable as background music or to just sit and soak in. Oh and they have a cool website.
Another female fronted band that I like are the Guards of Metropolis - more edgy, European, a bit of a fuzz to their sound but with a full-on bring on the party feel. Album is entitled Alligator and if my memory serves me correctly have a Pixies influence & shares a label with Frank Black & have done some recording with him & Larry Norman.
In the electronic folk scene (sounds like an oxymoron) - I'm still digging LCD Soundsystem - great sit in your chair, get up & move, or iPod @ work tunes.
Alert: I just downloaded Smashing Pumpkins' single Tarantula - not bad reminds me of some older stuff of theirs but still a modern edge to it. I prefer digesting entire albums over a single but it has successfully intrigued me for what will go down 7.7.7.
So there goes my random musings once again - from family to the ocean to music review - ebb & flow. Oh and did I brag to you that I have a son named Zach & he rocks! Actually he sleeps most of the time...but when he's awake he's loving life!

2 comments:

becsta said...

Hi Garth,

I had to laugh - I just downloaded Aqualung's 'Memory Man' off iTunes as a present for Gord. We commented that they sounded like Coldplay and, you guessed it, Radiohead! Bizarre! Hope you guys are going well, anyway... (we are!).

Luv Bec(sta) Funk in Aust.

Garth said...

Aqualung just keeps growing on me - hmmm sounds like some kind of illness now that I read what I just wrote...glad you saw the comparison as well~!

Our boy Zach is getting to be a beast - gotta be over 10lbs! He even grunts like a guy already - I think he may turn out to be a rugby or football player! How's your little man doing?