Friday, May 25, 2007

Bike Eating Tree

Remember where you park your bike! Next time I lean my bike up against a tree - I'm going to remember this picture!
On Vashon Island (near Seattle, Washington), a tree grows carrying a rather unusual passenger - an old bike. Apparently some kid chained a bike to the tree decades ago and never picked it up, leaving the tree no choice but to grow around the bike.

The tree and island gained some level of notoriety when Berkeley Breathed, creator of Bloom County, wrote a children’s book inspired by the bicycle eating tree entitled Red Ranger Came Calling.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

I'm a big fan of Berke Breathed and i have the book you mention. It's probably my favourite childrens book

Garth said...

Really - wow I had no idea - I think I may have to just pick it up!

Darryl said...

He just came out with a new kids book called, Mars Needs Moms. You should give it to Wendy from your kids. It is great, and the illustrations in it are fantastic.

Garth said...

Got em' big guy - gotta love Amazon - and the girls love them both! Great illustrations!