Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Facebook

I gave in and registered my persona into facebook a few weeks ago. I've been amazed at who I've found - long lost college friends, fellow camp workers, etc. Very cool format and way less annoying than myspace although apparently just as addictive. More interactive than blogging but not as self-reflective. I'm still keeping up my journals here but for connecting with friends & family - facebook nails it.

I had a student do an excellent report on Youth & the Internet - excellent tool that can be used in a good way or a negative way. He noted that spending too much time on the Internet can result in addiction or at a minimum a false sense of community. I agree there is nothing like flesh & blood relationships but i marvel at how much more connected I do feel with friends far away. I also see the danger on spending too much time online and not enough time & presence on face to face relationships.

Soundtrack to post: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn And John

2 comments:

Dave said...

I have been long musing the dangers of internet relationships. I think I'll have to develop my thoughts some more, but we are living far too much virtually and vicariously. We need to get out and live on our own. It's our life, do we invest it into something or do we simply spend it becuase we have some left to spend?

Garth said...

I'm with you that we need to get out and explore outside but I still marvel at how I can stay somewhat in contact with those overseas. My sister & I used to be able to only be in contact via letter, now she utilizes email over the radio in Africa.

Your last statement - about our choice with life and how spend it is very true. It fits in with our values, our chosen lifestyle, etc. I've stopped doing certain hobbies because it just wasn't practical and included ones that fit better. I personally still struggle with balance b/w all that I would like to do but I have made time to check email, blog, etc.