Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Covers

Every now and then a cover of a song by someone new brings new life to a song. I've always been a fan of The Police and I saw Sting live in Toronto a few years ago, so clearly I love the song Message In A Bottle. I have a version of MIAB by John Mayer and I'm thinking of covering his version for a Valentine's gig I have this Saturday with my friend Isi. Ironically, we haven't had a chance to practice at all - as he went home to Fiji with his wife for a holiday. He gets back today and so we hope to practice tomorrow evening. The event has a tropical theme and so we are playing a bunch of island-friendly songs and some Jack Johnson stuff.

Can you think of any covers that have surpassed their originals? I think Johnny Cash's versions of a few songs have done that - obviously NIN's Hurt or Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus. I really like Ryan Adam's version of Oasis' Wonderwall but I still like the original as well. Neil Young's version of Imagine from Tribute To Heroes is really inspiring, something about his voice just adds a quality not there originally. I have to say Van Halen's You Really Got Me is still way more inspiring than the original Kink's version but admittedly there is some nostalgia for with VH having seen them live twice. I should note though that it is very rare that a cover surpasses is the original as my brain has pretty much frozen up with finding some more ideas.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I never heard that John Mayer cover until tonight when I downloaded it. It's excellent! One of my favourites is sure to be Across the Universe by Fiona Apple (Beatles original) and Man Who Sold The World by Nirvana (David Bowie original)...I'll probably think of more eventually!

Garth said...

I do love that Nirvana song - i keep forgetting it is a David Bowie creation. Isn't Heroes by him as well - I love the Wallflowers version so much more! There are plenty of Beatles covers out there aren't there? Hmmm - that would be an exploration of covers in itself. What's the best cover of a Beatles song? I'm Looking Through You by the Wallflowers is pretty sweet too - I think it is from the I Am Sam soundtrack. Ben Harper's Strawberry Fields isn't too shabby either!

Here's another 70's classic - The Boys Are Back in Town - my prefered version is by Everclear!