Saturday, February 04, 2006

Adventure Therapy

I taught an interesting class on utilizing teambuilding initiatives today for Recreation Facilitators associated with Therapeutic Recreation Manitoba. It was a large class of around 34 students who for the most part work in personal care homes with seniors. I have never done any extensive teambuilding with this age bracket but I definitely can see its merit. I encouraged my participants to explore and adapt experiential activities to their clients.

We had fun doing some de-inhibitizers & icebreakers and I have to admit my closing activity was a big hit - tower building! It is much more challenging debriefing 4 teams of 8 or 9 at once but it worked out alright. Two teams used tape & balloons and the other two used pvc pipe & fittings to complete there goal of constructing the tallest tower but still maintaining structural integrity. The winning team constructed their tower like an upside down cone and I was amazed at how strong a structure they created. I wish I would've taken some pictures!

No comments: