Sunday, July 17, 2005

Travel

Why not Minot? proclaimed a cheesy mug at a gift shop in this Scandinavian North Dakotan city. That's right - this past weekend Wendy & I and our friends Pat & Dar made a quick escape to North Dakota. Why you ask? Well - limited budget and time and curiosity. Our first stop was at the International Peace Gardens where we ended up tenting and exploring. It is a unique park that straddles the border between Canada & the US that includes both natural forests & man-made gardens. The Peace Tower's four cement spires also are situated over the borderline of our two sister nations.

Wendy posing by the Peace Towers @ Peace Gardens

The most moving display was that of twisted beams from the 911 WTC tragedy. The Manitoban gov't shipped them in from NY and the park is awaiting finances to complete a memorial which will incorporate the beams.

911 Memorial - beams from NY's WTC

We came across some stuffed poached animals in a Ranger museum and I decided to pose with a Grizzly - hey I was on vacation!!!


Ranger Garth with Grizzly

From the Peace Gardens we drove to Minot and hoteled it while doing some friendly cross-border shopping and tourism. I've included some pics for those curious as to our not so foreign travels. We tried to tour the local airforce base but lacked the connections but did spend some time at Minot's Aviation Museum as both Pat and I have a background in flying.


Top Gun - exploring a flight simulator at the Minot Aviation Museum

So maybe our destination was not typical but it was a good temporary escape from home. Perhaps the most foreign aspect of our trip was a tour of some of the Scandanavian culture of Minot. Below is a picture of a recreated church from Scandanavia - simply beautiful woodwork - reminded me of some of the buildings from LOTR.


Scandavian Church in Minot

The food was great - I definitely recommend the local Mexican restaurant Paradiso and Grizzly's Grill located in the city mall. The locale may not have been exotic but we enjoyed our time as friends and tourists. It is good though to be home with our daughters!

G

Sorry for my lack of posts as of late - I'm in summer mode and exploring play with my family outdoors!

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

You must have been just a tiny bit tempted to go another 150 miles and ride the Maah Daah Hey Trail. It sounds epic!

Garth said...

Yeah but we were under strict orders from our wives - no mtn bikes! But it gave us a good idea of how much further it would be. We're hoping to do the Moab of the North - Maah Daah Hey sometime this fall when the heat isn't on! It's also been horribly wet out our way and it has some potentially mucky sections.

I should also note that in my minds eye I contemplated some biking moves over some of the flower beds and winding creeks we observed while at Peace Gardens.

Have you been to Maah Daah Hey?

G

G

Jeremy said...

I know how it goes with those things. Last spring we went to Kaslo and Nelson WITHOUT MY BIKE, and a couple of weeks ago I spent half a day watching the kids at Apex Resort while Tannis rode the lift with her bike and did singletrack descents. So I don't always get the goods either!

No, I've never been to Maah Daah Hey. The last few times we've done the prairie road trip, we've been with the girls, so it hasn't worked out. Some day, though. I've thought of spending a few days coming across to Winnipeg, hitting Cypress Hills in Saskatchewan and the badlands in ND...maybe even some South Dakota riding...but that would be a long trip all of the sudden.