Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Explore Places

I have to admit that I love to travel and I have had the opportunity to travel to a variety of places over the course of my life thus far. We haven't done much foreign travel as of late though - that is something that we want to change as we feel that exposure to different cultures is important for our girls to experience.

My family has always traveled and I still recall many of those trips as pivotal times in my understanding of the world and other people. Most of those travels were in the United States but also to the Caribbean a few times. Since then my travels went global - places like Paraguay, Israel, and later Ethiopia & Kenya have definitely shaped my perspective on different cultures.

I also hope to explore some of my own historical culture - with my ethnic roots being in the Netherlands but later my family line traveled to Prussia, the Ukraine, and eventually settled in Canada (for over three or four generations now).

43 Things now has a 43 Places site where I've spent some time entering some of the places I'd like to travel and also places I've been. It definitely isn't complete but it gives a good picture of my love of travel. For whatever reason - I seem to be more drawn to the south pacific as of late - New Zealand, Australia & Fiji. The Orient has never really interested me for whatever reason. I'd love to go back to Africa and further explore it's diverse countries. I've never really been to Europe - which is weird because it definitely is more accessible than most places.

And on this lovely continent - Wendy and I would love to explore Alaska! We'll see what happens!

No comments: