Sunday, June 20, 2004

Relationships & Communication

Well - today is father's day and I was treated by my daughter with a plea to come to breakfast. Yep, Wendy made me a breakfast of eggs complete with a card from her and a card from Chelsea. We've had a stressful week but this weekend has been a wonderful break from packing. We are all looking forward to being moved into our new house and if all goes according to plan - this Thursday the big move commences! Hopefully we get some help from others as we've definitely got a lot to move!

I'm in the process of researching & prepping for a new class I'm teaching this September. The course is called Interpersonal Processes and I'm becoming more excited to teach it. I love exploring who people see themselves and how they see other people. Is it not interesting how we communicate to certain people differently than others?

The two course texts I am considering include The Art Of Speedreading People and The Interpersonal Communication Book. The first book utilizes self-discovery of "personality typing" and devised the art of "speed reading" people as a powerful tool for quickly and accurately identifying key personality traits for effective communication. The second is more of your standard textbook type of book (it is a good one) but the price tag on it is enough to give students epileptic seizures.

I taught a course called Leadership Development this past Spring and my students confirmed to me that many had no idea who they really were, what their gifts were, & what their passions were?! As a class we examined what leadership skills they had, how their particular personality type affected how they led, & discussed potential occupations or callings where they could see themselves best used.

For my interpersonal processes class I'm thinking of doing something similar although focusing more how each personality type communicates differently & interacts with other personality types. I'm also considering making a online blog a part of their assignment as well. It is definitely an interesting way of communicating with others.

Life is all about relationships - our relationships with friends, with families, with coworkers, and even with God. Relationship is all about communication isn't it? That's why we email, we phone, we pray, we talk, we video, we write, we read, we blog, etc. God calls us all to communicate the good news about His desire for relationship with us. And that the relationship He intended right from Eden can be restored through grace!

Our God is a relational one! Many think He is an impersonal judge who sits on His throne and zaps people when they do bad things. I see the opposite - I see him as having a more sensitive nature. Yes - He is holy and can have no part in sin but he still is compassionate and loving. None of us are deserving of a salvation from the sins we commit daily. Even small ones separate us from holiness. Yet God created a way to bridge the gap - the ultimate sacrifice for our sins - Jesus death on the cross. That's what grace is! We simply accept grace to experience salvation.

But unfortunately that is all some of us do - accept grace and keep it to ourselves. Grace & love are unique in that both must be shared in order for them to function properly. Without loving others, without forgiving others, without sharing grace - we keep pounding nails into the wrists of Christ. My challenge for myself is to be more of a grace giver instead of just a grace taker.

Happy Father's Day!

G

No comments: