Thursday, November 03, 2005

Outdoor Education @ Red Rock

We had a simply amazing week at Red Rock Lake for the practical component of the outdoor education course I teach. Together with Red Rock staff and my friend Mandy, we taught canoeing, kayaking, mtn biking, wall climbing, archery, orienteering with compass/GPS, and basic bushcraft skills such as firebuilding. The shot below a picture of RRBC's waterfront and a tent of a few of my students brave enough to endure some below zero night temperatures. It actually was a beautiful week with temps up to 19 degrees Celsius on Thursday but at least 2 evenings resulted in frost on the ground the following morning.



Despite cold water temperatures we decided to go ahead with canoe and kayak instruction. The result was one canoe tipping near the island and two kayaks tipping near the beach. Fortunately, no one got hypothermia as we were near warm showers and a change of clothes. All in all, amazing weather for this time of year.



That's me in the orange Dagger Redline - an older play kayak I donated to RRBC a few years ago.

You got to love teachable moments like the one above. A flat tire on the trail to Echo Valley resulted in a lesson in changing flats! Mandy is standing in the background and was a great help in connecting with the female component of my class.

G

8 comments:

Jeremy said...

Quite the job! Seriously, that's an epic workplace.

Garth said...

Getting paid to explore play with my outdoor ed class is probably the highlight of my year - I just wish it would be more than a week out of the classroom.

I may be able to take a group in the Spring on a backpacking trip if i can convince my Dean it would be a worthy endeavour - we'll see. The interest is definitely there on the student's part.

I suppose I should reflect more on the joys of my job rather than gripe about the lowpoints...

G

Jason said...

Looking at that first picture, I can picture it being the middle of July and the water is warm and inviting. Then I take a closer look and without reading your dialogue I know it's freezing. Looks like a great time and a great job!

Garth said...

You know it was a really interesting week weather wise - clear skies and warm temps during the days of up to 15-19 degrees C but it would cool off at night. I had one guy who tipped his kayak and I thought at first well I guess he'll hit the shower but he was wearing synthetic materials and climbed back in saying he felt fine. It is amazing what a difference it makes what you wear!

G

Jason said...

Brrrrr! No thanks! Aside from the weather it does look like a lot of fun. I'm almost positive I went to Red Rock Bible Camp when I was a kid. Does that sound right?

Garth said...

It's a good possiblity - it is one of the bigger camps in Manitoba. I worked there as a waterfront director and programming assistant for two years and a third as their out-tripping director in the early 90's. Since then I have been a volunteer in leading a number of out-trips and done team-building sessions with there staff for the last 4 or 5 years.

I don't know that I've ever been to a more beautiful site for a camp. I've seen better facilities and equipment but there is something about the rolling red & smoky granite, jack pines, birch & poplar that make Red Rock unique.

G

Jeremy said...

Jason, we went to Red Rock together one year, when we were maybe 10 or so.

It really is an incredible spot -- more proof that there's beauty everywhere if you're willing to engage and seek it out. I actually have my fondest memories of the place in winter; playing broomball, snowmobiling, tobogganning, and having a big fire in the chapel building.

Garth said...

Very cool recollections Jer. Yeah there definitely is something special about the place. Just think how many kids have gone through the camp over the years! It definitely affected me in a positive way and I can honestly say was a stepping stone for me doing what I do today. It's there that I learned I had desire to teach and also developed many of my outdoor skills that I am passing on to others today!

Winter is cool there as well - I too have fond memories of snowmobiling with my Dad, trying out snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The camp has changed a lot over the years - they have a climbing wall, the archery field has moved more into the bush (away from the bugs of the grassy ballfield), mountain biking, sail boarding, kayaking are all new skills that the camp began utilizing the nineties. Latest skills they are considering is geo-caching with a GPS. They've also bounced around the idea of paintballing and bringing back sailing! I should also note that Red Rock is where I met my wife but that's another story!

G