Monday, June 18, 2007

Bug Photos...

Okay apparently there are a lot of insects at the cottage these days and so I have an entire section of photos just focused on them crawly creatures...enjoy?
My favorite bug has gotta be the dragonfly - I'm an aviation buff and they are the equivalent of the A-10 Attack plane...they come in low and eat up mosquitos!
Best time to shoot dragonflies is just after they've left their aquatic bodies - nymphs...
...they spend a bit of time drying out their wings.
They climb onto fingers are very willing to be placed in different settings or in this case plants.
I think this is a wolf spider but I'm not sure...I love their beady eyes - I got a pile of shots of them but again missing my big lens - next time!
The elusive dock spider - again they probably have a more official name but that's how I know them. Chelsea and I found this one on our dock and it was about the size of my palm...big mother!!!
One of the nights at Star resulted in a number of disoriented moths perched on our cabin front. This shot is a temporarily capture Luna moth being held by my darling daughter Chels!
I should note my sister Kiki made the discovery of these Lunesta wonders...
Another mysterious Manitoba moth - to be identified.
An inch-worm makes a daring ascent up a rain-drenched stalk.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Great set -- amazing, beautiful creatures.

Garth said...

Yeah - nice to have a bit of theme - just so happened there were a fair amount of bugs around. The Luna moths were truly spectacular and my daughter Chelsea was so enthralled. She is a protector of worms & caterpillars, moths & butterflies - she had a little run-in with her sister Aimee after a caterpillar squishing incident. Aimee was scared and responded with a big step - the result a very emotional big sister!

Keira said...

Ah yes, Chelsea is coming along nicely as a protector of insects. I suppose it's time to work on Aimee . . .

Garth said...

She's not so convinced bugs are friendly...not after the caterpillar sting incident.