Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring's Thaw & Anticipating New Music

So here I sit marking & grading once again. I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at in the academic year but more assignments to come. I know that grad will be here soon and I'll be sending off yet another crop of graduates - I am finding it tougher every year. I imagine it is similar to what it feels like for parents releasing their 18 year olds to college.

Well March is thawing away the snow & ice that has accumulated since winter's first kiss back in November. The sun is slowly warming the earth and revealing new growth. I'm longing for some new music and thankfully some has made its ways to my ears through I-tunes. I'm loving the new Daniel Lanois album soundtrack to Here Is What Is and hope to purchase the movie it accompanies today sometime. It definitely is growing on me similar to what Shine did.
Sheryl Crow's album Detour is good & upbeat but not mind-blowing. Good music to play in the background I suppose and some songs are stirring lyrically. Reminds me most of her first album - somewhat trippy & happy but plays with some darker & political themes as well. A bit over-produced though, she needs to get in the studio with Lanois or Burnett or Rick Rubin methinks.
It definitely does not have the depth musically of Norah Jones' Live in 2007 EP - not that it is surprising because Norah knows how to hit the soul of the ear. The new Jack Johnson Sleep Through The Static is in the same category as Sheryl Crow - good but everything feels revisited - I've heard this before sort of. I really think this is the worst album cover I've seen in a very long time. I bought the first JJ basically because I listened to two tracks and liked the cover. It isn't that it is a bad album and admittedly he pulls out an electric for some songs which is refreshing but I'm still hoping for a more defining album.

I'm looking for something original this Spring and I'm hoping the new Death Cab For Cutie due in May will be that. Their new single "I Will Possess Your Heart" definitely is interesting and is a good wake-up from the winter song. Great intro bassline that grooves & provides an amazing foundation for the song. An 8:36 single = crazy eh?
The Afters new album Never Going Back to Ok is good driving music - lots of depth musically and to a point lyrically. I'm loving Wintersleep - great "drive" in their music - particularly in "Oblivion" - reminds me somehow of The Hip. So what am I waiting for this spring? Well the new Coldplay, Death Cab For Cutie, and we'll see if the Counting Crows can bring a new sound to my ears. Here is to hoping? Oh and the U2-3D Imax film - definitely worth the ticket price - great sound & amazing videography. Not cheesy 3D but a little freaky at times - Bono kind of steps into your personal space at times. Great songs but at an hour and half - left me wanting more. I'm not sure though visually if I could have gone 2 hours in 3D. So surreal! I also am hoping U2 will finish up their new album for fall - fingers crossed.

No comments: