Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Legend Brett Favre

It's tough to see a hero retire but my admiration for Brett Favre continues on. I love football - it is one of toughest sports out there and from my perspective not only the most physical but one that requires the most mental effort. Every player has a role to play and critical for any forward progress to occur. The quarterbacks, receivers & running backs get the majority of the accolades but each player on the team is necessary. I love that. I would encourage y'all to check out his retirement video as it truly reflects this man's love of the game.
Favre completes his 17-year career as the NFL's all-time leader in every significant career passing category - touchdowns (442), completions (5,377), attempts (8,758) and yards (61,555), plus wins (160). His 253 consecutive starts (275 including playoffs) is the NFL record for quarterbacks and the second-longest recorded streak in league history.The league's only three-time MVP, Favre led the Packers to 11 playoff appearances, including seven division crowns, four NFC Championship Games, two Super Bowls and a World Championship with a victory in Super Bowl XXXI.

Clearly, Favre was not only a three time MVP but also an "everyman" - a person that anyone could relate to. He was a legend but so down-to-earth & clearly fallible. He's a hero that I will expose my son to as a man to emulate - someone who although went through struggles, fought & won.
Favre ended his career with class & character. Will I wonder - what if he stuck around another year? You betcha! But I admire him going out on top.

I consider myself blessed to have actually seen Brett Favre & the Packers play on Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Football will not be the same without him and it will be interesting to see where the Pack ends up next season but I've been a fan of the Pack for close to twenty years - 16 of them Favre has been the QB - and I will remain a Pack fan.

Wendy & I in Green Bay, WI watching the team & game I love!

No comments: