Sunday, April 30, 2006

Explore Pics

Wendy picked up a digital point & shoot for me this past week that I decided to try out this month - a Pentax Optio WPI, which happens to be class 5 dustproof & class 8 waterproof.

My digital slr still takes way better pictures but it quite honestly is a pain to haul around when I'm out biking or kayaking. So I figured I'd see if the more portable WPI would work out for me - not necessarily for capturing art but for capturing memories. Here are some the results from a recent ride to the Sandilands with my good friends Pat & Jason:

Pat's Toyota has been a huge help in getting us to the backcountry of the Sandilands for our weekly bike rides on sweet winding singletrack!

Notice the nice blue bike I now am riding!

The remains of some scrap wood from a lumber operation - I'm not a fan of clear cut logging and it is amazing how brutal our provincial forests are treated when harvested.

I definitely appreciate the nature on our epic rides - I'm not sure about the identity of this flower but it pops around the trails this time of year. We came across what we think was an eagle nest on our ride and spooked them a little. The result was Pat being dive-bombed by a ticked off eagle while he was accessing his GPS.

Speaking of eagles - check out this site: Eagle Eye Cam Apparently someone in BC set up a digital vid camera in this eagle nest and it recently captured the birth of baby eagles.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Supersweet bike...and the new camera seems to be working pretty well, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks J - I'm out west right now enjoying the mountains of Canmore! Wish I had my bike with! I think we may have to travel this way with the family this summer. I'm touring with a music & drama group to Western & Northern Alberta - back in MB on the 10th.

Later,

Garth

Anonymous said...

Hey Garth, that flower is a crocus and it's our provincial flower! Also I think your other unidentified flowers along the trial were blueberry bushes . . . but I'm not positive. It's been awhile since I've checked out your site. Nice pics! - kiki