Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Pura Vida

There is nothing quite like sipping a cup of coffee sitting on the deck on a sunny morning. And I'm not talking about some watered-down Tim Horton's attempt or worse some office drip-brewed pondwater - I'm talking pure & dark Costa Rican premium bean coffee. Nothing beats a dark roast blend - pura vida! When you say "pura vida" in Costa Rica, you are saying all is right in the world! Sort of like expressing Shalom in Israel, that even in the midst of struggle or hardship Shalom can exist. It is more than simply saying "peace" - it is expressing purity, beauty, rightness, love, life, joy, hope, tranquility, exhilaration, perfection, connectedness, and a peace that passes all understanding all-at-one!

Pura Vida for me is: the perfect descent down a steep winding run on my mountain bike; surfing that perfect wave sitting in a whitewater kayak; the hugs & greetings of my daughters when I return home from a day of teaching; the warm embrace & kiss of my wife; the view at the top of a mountain just climbed; and yes, the rich bitter taste of a good cup of costa rican coffee in the morning! What is your pura vida?

No comments: