Friday, July 21, 2006

The Open Road

I have to admit that when I first started mountain biking I thought "roadies" were geeks. In part, it perhaps was the bright colors and the skin-tight clothing but my I truly thought that the open road was boring compared to the challenge of obstacles and singletrack. Slowly, I've come around and come to appreciate the sport of road cycling. The Tour de France is something I've followed consistently over the past 5 or so years and I've come to appreciate the determination, the strategy, the speed, and the overall beauty of the sport.

This morning, I went on a "short" ride with my buddies Pat & Jason of 45kms that we completed in about an hour and twenty minutes (one of the perks of having a buddy own a bike shop is that I get to try out a $1400 bike - thanks Pat!). There is something about being on the open road early in the morning. The chill from the night is still in the air, and the air itself seems so fresh and pure. The big race around France comes to an end this weekend and so I salute the riders here on my little blog - still cheering for T-Mobile (even though I think we're currently in fourth with Andreas Kloden). I've been amazed by Floyd Landis' effort considering his hip problems - if he ends up winning his story will go down in history with the legends!

1 comment:

Garth said...

Wow - Landis took the World Cup! Very impressive comeback! Also cool was Andreas Kloden in the sprints on Saturday and how he took third place on the podium!

An enjoyable Saturday sprint and Sunday and exciting finish for all involved!