Sunday, June 25, 2006

Summer Tunes

So I recently went on a hunt for some new music and here are some findings you need to check out: The band Embrace - another amazing UK find (admittedly influence by U2/Coldplay) - both of their latest recordings are solid: Out of Nothing & This New Day. I love Keane's latest Under The Iron Sea as well - almost as much as Snow Patrol's Eyes Open. Another band i'm enjoying is Thirteen Senses - The Invitation again I'm liking the influence but divergence from U2/Coldplay. Guster's Ganging Up On The Sun is more subdued but has amazing vocals - Coldplay meets the Wallflowers meets the Beatles? I'm still digesting their stuff. Something that reminds me of a mix of Wallflowers/Counting Crows/Howie Day is a band called The Fray - How To Save A Life - also worth the listen. Bruce Cockburn has a new cd Life Short Call Now coming out that apparently is quite good, The Wailin' Jennys have a new cd entitled Firecracker - newgrass is probably the most apt description, of course Johnny Cash's Personal Files are out and his posthumous American V: A Hundred Highways will be out in early July. A taste of summer - hopefully more tunes to be had...any recommends from you? or response to my new picks?

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

I keep forgetting that I wanted to recommend Silversun Pickups to you. I know you've got a soft spot for older Smashing Pumpkins stuff, and this is in a similar vein. Here's a short playlist to get you started: Silversun Pickups on Webjay.

I've enjoyed songs from several of the bands you've listed here (Fray, Thirteen Senses, Snow Patrol), but haven't gone as far as picking up the albums yet.

Garth said...

Woah man - posting a comment on such an old post! Hey amazing find - I'm definitely liking the sound of the first song...very cool! Definitely have a pumpkins vibe too them and great bass!

Jeremy said...

I had this post saved in Bloglines for months...kept forgetting that I wanted to add this recommendation. Probably an album worth picking up.

That Webjay link to "Lazy Eye" is unfortunately dead this morning...probably the strongest song I've heard from them, reminiscent of SP's 1979.

Garth said...

I snagged all five tracks and you are right about the lazy eye track - very much in the vein of 1979. I'm still wondering what the new pumpkins will be like...