Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Day Four: June 13 - Rappelling & Ziplining

We had an amazing day of rain forest exploration via ziplines & crazy rappels down waterfalls - here in Costa Rica this is known as canyoning.


I'm honestly not one for extreme heights but still love climbing. I guess that makes me a little twisted and to top it all off I usually start to laugh when I get nervous. The jungle takes away from the exposure you normally feel though lets say on an icewall or climbing rock but it gives an amazing rush as you whiz past or through giant tropical trees branches.


The waterfall descents were a little tricky - slippery rock and amazing amounts of water fall on your thighs or head - depending on the gradient of the waterfall.


We saw these amazing turquoise blue butterflies the size of my outstretched hand flutter around as we waited to descend into the fern engulfed abyss of water, rock & gravity. Wendy & I thoroughly enjoyed the day and were impressed by the professional guiding that took place there. The first zipline of maybe 300 feet or so brought us to a platform a good 130 feet up. There we attached our harness & biner to another line and we literally had to jump off the platform and then were speedily belayed down - enough to get the heart rushing. I could go on but I'll maybe give more of a description with the pics later.

The afternoon was more relaxed and was spent shopping for coffee dispensers, coffee, beans, and other Costa Rican cultural items. We hope to cook a Costa Rican meal for family when we get back. The people of Costa Rica are amazingly friendly & generous - simply a pleasure to spend time here! It is raining right now - but the weather during the day generally speaking has been perfect.

No comments: