Sunday, June 25, 2006

Canadian Summer

Well - I'm in the midst of getting into summer mode as a prof which means lots of reading, picking out texts for next year, speaking engagements, research, oh yeah and take a few more weeks of holidays to be with family! I'm most excited about the latter but I really do enjoy researching for new courses or tweaking the ones I already have prepared.

I have a new course next year entitled Communications which is aimed at first year college students and hopefully helping them learn how to communicate effectively both as speakers and writers. The other aspect of the course that I think is critical is learning how to read and research, both often weaknesses I see in students. Our Canadian public school system unfortunately is not doing a very good job in preparing students to write proper research papers.

My sister Ang & bro-in-law Rolf are returning from Ethiopia to have their third child and so we hope to connect a fair amount this summer as we don't get to see them much. So hopefully some quality time will be spent at the lake enjoying rest & recreation! Costa Rica honestly seems like a long time ago already but its been good to revisit my blog and take a look at the 650 other pictures I didn't post online! The weather has been amazing thus far here in sunny Manitoba and we are looking foward to a warm & refreshing summer!

No comments: